What is the Evil Eye? A brief history and lore of the Evil Eye. 1
• WHAT IS THE EVIL EYE? •
An ancient proverb states that the eyes are “the windows of the soul.” From this, it is not hard to believe that the concept of the “evil eye,” going back thousands of years, has been viewed as malevolent and a powerful form of cursing magick. If you’ve ever been stared at by someone with anger or hate towards you, there is the sensation of feeling the hate coming your way. Some people even use the phrase “throwing daggers” for this same hateful glare.
The belief and fear surrounding the evil eye goes back as far as recorded history; ancient Greek and Roman authors mentioned the concept in their writings and the reaction to being the recipient of someone’s baleful gaze ranges from mild annoyance to fearsome dread. The evil eye, as a curse, spread throughout ancient Europe and West Asia (some historians believe the superstitions surrounding it spread as Alexander the Great’s empire spread as well).
There have been numerous techniques and practices by people of many different countries and cultures to protect themselves from the evil eye, both from people’s literal stares and from the spiritual, more abstract “evil eyes” of unseen forces and energies. The most common, and in fact, universal form of defense against the evil eye has been through sigils—that is, painted or drawn symbols—or talismans—physical objects created as a shield against the glaring curse. The most recognized design for the protective talisman is what the Turkish refer to as nazar: the black dot of pupil surrounded by concentric circles of blues and white. Even today, in Turkey and its
surrounding areas, these simple glass designs are hung inside and outside homes, in trees, in cars…anywhere a little extra protection from outside forces that mean to do its owner harm. The added benefit of the talisman’s design is that it is an eye itself, is always on the watch for evil and malicious intent, and in effort the talisman returns the negativity back to its sender.
Like most magickal practice, the power of this talisman (which, casually, are referred to as “evil eyes”) comes from the intent and actions of its user. Hanging one of these in your home or altar can add another constant reminder that outside forces of "ill will" can sometimes feel near, and that our own intent and will to protect ourselves from other's ill will should always on the ready. That blue eye is always watching, waiting for the next calamity or danger to rear its dark head; hopefully, with careful diligence and regular practice, we can spot these signs ahead of time and face them with our own positivity and light, or with our own evil eye to protect us.
Discover the 2016 Mabon Sabbat Box - Protection Magick for the Home and the Equinox 1
• MABON SABBAT BOX • PROTECTION MAGICK FOR THE HOME & FOR THE EQUINOX • BOX BREAKDOWN •
But no matter how short the days may come, or what shadows lie around the curve in the path, we have our homes to keep us and protect us from the coming exposure and elements. And preparation of that home for the darker days ahead is what this year’s Mabon Sabbat Box is all about. Preparing the home for the coming days—just as we do in spring around Ostara to clean out the old—is all about protection and making sure that negative energies and calamitous forces are kept at bay.
- As some of you may know, as of now we are currently at our maximum membership capacity at Sabbat Box. We have implemented a waiting list for those interested in joining when membership positions become available. You can join the waiting list here.
- Do you or someone you know make a product that would appeal to the Pagan community? Are you looking to launch a product or get your product in front of a large audience? If so, lets talk! Sabbat Box is always looking for new vendors and suppliers that create unique items to feature inside an upcoming Sabbat Box. Sabbat Box is a great way for people to find out about you, your product or your company. Whether you are looking to advertise inside the box or wish to feature a product within a box, we would love to hear from you. Register to become a Sabbat Box Supplier/Advertiser today.
• THE MAGICAL HOUSEHOLD •
• ITEM 1: BOOKS.........$13.99
• WHAT: The Magical Household
• WHO WROTE IT?: Written by Scott Cunningham and David Harrington
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: Llewellyn or the Sabbat Box Store
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: This handy guide is just the thing to learn about how to protect and create a safe, blessed, and abundant home and hearth.
Part of our ongoing effort here at Sabbat Box is to provide our members with valuable resources in reference to the craft. Our theme for this Sabbat Box surrounds the magick of the home and hearth, and this book by Scott Cunningham and David Harrington is filled with rituals, spells, lore, omens, superstition and other magickal information specifically for the home. This book looks at your household from three perspectives: protecting, blessing, and finding magick. It is quite a fascinating read and will surely help you to create a magickal household—a haven of harmony, spirituality, safety, and love, while learning about the rich folklore surrounding the home.
• REIKI CHARGED "POWER" SPELL CANDLE •
• ITEM 2: SPELL CANDLE.......$10.00
• WHAT: Hand Poured Reiki Charged “Power” Herbal Magic Pillar Candle
• WHO MAKES IT?: Crystal Journey Candle Company
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store or Crystal Journey Candles
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Mabon is a time of preparation for the coming darker days. This candle can be used to help raise the power and energy necessary to stay up to the task of positive protection and peace in the home.
There are times when we feel as if a certain spell or particular magickal working may require a little more power, and sometimes drawing in that power is as simple as lighting a spell candle. This “power” herbal magick spell candle from Crystal Journey Candle Company will help you with that. This candle is Reiki charged and is infused with herbs that correspond with drawing in power. Use this candle by itself or together with the other Mabon Sabbat Box items to draw in the power of the elements or to add a little boost to your home protection magick. Each candle is 7.0 inches tall and has a burning time of roughly 20-30 hours.
• Patchouli: A feminine herb that is used for luck, fertility and protection.
• Clove: A masculine herb corresponding with protection, power and luck
• EVIL EYE PROTECTION TALISMANS •
• ITEM 3: HOME TALISMANS.........$7.95
• WHAT: Hand Crafted Evil Eye Hanging Home Protection Talisman
• WHO MAKES IT?: Purchased via Eclectic Artisans
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Talismans such as the evil eye have been used for millennia as powerful symbols to keep away negative forces and evil. The evil eye design of this hanging talisman is an historical reminder of the positive power of symbols and a constant reminder to always be on the look out for ill will or harm.
Hang this evil eye talisman facing out a window of your home, on the inside of your front door/handle, or above your altar to help keep negativity away and banish negative vibrations. What is an evil eye?
• EVIL EYE RITUAL ANOINTING OILS •
• ITEM 4: RITUAL OIL.........$9.95
• WHAT: Witch's Brew Hand Blended Evil Eye Ritual/Anointing Oil
• WHO MAKES IT?: Coventry Creations
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: Coventry Creations or the Sabbat Box Store.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Anointing and ritual oils are a fundamental staple in Paganism and witchcraft. This Mabon’s Sabbat Box specifically helps target protection and shielding of malicious energies, sometimes referred to collectively as “the evil eye.”
This hand-blended ritual oil by Coventry Creations is made with a proprietary blend of essential oils that correspond with protection. One of the main oils within this evil eye blend is juniper. Juniper is an herb that corresponds with protection, and is even believed to have been one of the first herbs used by Mediterranean witches as incense. You can use this Evil Eye Oil ritually to anoint and charge spell and ritual tools (like the evil eye talisman offered above) or help manifest a protective vibration in your home by burning it in a diffuser or anointing the thresholds of your home.
• HOME PROTECTION SACHET •
• ITEM 5: PROTECTION SACHETS.........$7.50
• WHAT IS IT: Herbal Hand Crafted Home Protection Sachet/Mojo Bag
• WHO MAKES IT?: Charme et Sortilege
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store or via Charme et Sortilege
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Mojo bags, medicine bags, sachets—no matter the origin, historical genesis, or what they are called, all earth-based Pagan practices include a collection of herbs, oils, and natural materials in a pouch or sack to be used as a focus of protective or healing energy. This Home Protection Sachet is another way to help signify to negative forces and energies to stay away from where you live.
This handcrafted home protection sachet contains a potent blend of herbs, flowers, oils, and stones that were made to banish negative energies and promote protection for your home. You will want to place this sachet near an entry point into your home. Some may hang it above a door or a window, place in a closet, beneath a bed, over your altar, or anywhere protection is desired. Prior to doing so, you will want to ritually charge your sachet/mojo to “breathe life into it.” How you do this is up to you.
You will want to also recharge your sachet/mojo bag every month and crumple the bag every month or so to “wake up” the spirit of the herbs. After six months have gone by you will want to dispose of your sachet and hang a fresh one in its place, if desired. To dispose of the old one, burn it as an offering, thanking the spirits of herbs for their protective energies and bury the stone into the earth. If you cannot burn the bag, you can bury the whole sachet along with the stone instead.
• PROTECTION INCENSE •
• ITEM 6: INCENSE.........$2.50
• WHAT IS IT: Protection Hand Rolled Stick Incense
• WHO MAKES IT?: HEM
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store or most metaphysical stores.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Incense is a common ritual and spell staple that helps create a particular atmosphere and energy when burned. Create an atmosphere and energy of protection with the delightful scent of these quality hand rolled HEM incense sticks.
This Mabon’s Sabbat Box is all about protection and working protection magick for the home and for the equinox. One of the favorite items our members like to receive in each box are incense. So, for Mabon we came across these protection stick incense by HEM and just had to include them. HEM is a trusted incense brand around the world, and produces high quality incense. This particular incense contain a blend of herbs and oils that correspond to protection. Burn while working protection magick, casting circle or spiritually cleansing your home.
• PACKING & SHIPPING •
PACKING & SHIPPING: Part of the costs of your box include the box and the packing material itself. The items listed below account for a good portion of the overall costs for the Mabon Sabbat Boxes. Each Mabon Sabbat Box is lined with paper padding and wrapping to add to the surprise of what we’ve curated for you. Shipping is also included in the total price. The average cost to ship Sabbat Boxes has gone up the past few months due to the postal price increases. The cost to ship boxes is roughly $8.50. With that being said, we here at Sabbat Box wish to be as environmentally friendly that we can be and do our best to source packing supplies and material from companies that have the same beliefs we do, in that we want to make as little of an impact as possible on the environment.
BOXES: Your boxes where made from high quality corrugated paper and are 100% recyclable. Try to find another use for your box. They are 9x9x3 on the inside. You could decorate your box to hold some magical supplies or use it again to ship something to someone or save it for another time when you may need it. If you have to get rid of it, please try to recycle it.
BROCHURE: Your brochures are printed on 100% recyclable 16pt paper, which is sourced from sustainable forests.
TISSUE PAPER & FILLING: The blue tissue paper is made from 100% recycled paper and is recyclable. The brown colored filler inside each box is made from scraps of recycled colored crinkle paper and is biodegradable.
STICKERS: The stickers found within your boxes where printed on vinyl with a gloss laminate.
• SABBAT BOX SAVINGS & COUPONS •
Part of our goal is to provide a number of items to our members at a value far above what individuals can purchase on their own. When you add up all of the items inside your Mabon Sabbat Box, as well as costs for shipping and packaging, you are saving over $20.00. We believe this to be another good reason to be a member. Also, each box we create helps to support Pagan run businesses and their employees. Sabbat Box looks forward to continuing to stay within our mission to work with other Pagan businesses to supply products for each box.
MABON SABBAT BOX PRICE BREAKDOWN
• Total MSRP of items inside: $51.88
• Total Savings on this box: $11.93
• Total Shipping Savings: $8.50
• Grand Total In Savings: $20.43
Our members helped to support 5 Pagan run businesses with their Sabbat Box membership! We work with other Pagans and Pagan owned businesses within the community to purchase, curate and supply the items featured within our boxes. In the end, we want to help the community grow and share our business with companies that share our same values and standards.
• SABBAT BOX FEATURED VENDOR - COVENTRY CREATIONS •
• COMPANY: COVENTRY CREATIONS
• WHAT THEY SELL: Handcrafted spell candles, ritual oils, energy sprays and more! All of their items are made based upon astrological timing to imbue the energies of the current moon phase within each of their products. Learn more about their history here.
• WEBSITE: http://www.coventrycreations.com
• FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/coventrycreationscandles/
• TIME •
We take pride in assembling each and every Sabbat Box by hand, no matter the amount of time it takes. We don't just throw your items inside a flat rate priority mail box like some other subscription box companies out there. We want your Sabbat Box to be delivered to you as beautifully as it left us, and it takes a tremendous amount of time to complete this task.
This includes folding the boxes together, individually cutting each sheet of tissue paper by hand, weighing out the crinkle paper for each box, designing the flyers, coupons, stickers and brochures to be printed professionally by commercial printers, individually placing each item within their corresponding bags, individually assembling the boxes, individually packing the tissue paper within each box by hand putting together and creating product packing. This timeframe doesn't even include the efforts made to manage the Sabbat Box website, the back end billing system, social media management, customer service inquiries, accounting, marketing, purchasing, networking, and so on. This is a labor of love and we enjoy serving the community!
We believe in what it is we are doing and we sincerely hope that each and every one of you can see that the purest of intent and utmost care goes into curating each Sabbat Box.
• OFFICIAL 2016 MABON SABBAT BOX UNBOXING VIDEO •
• OTHER RESOURCES RELATING TO YOUR BOX •
MABON INFORMATION, LORE AND MORE!
Simple Mabon Ritual: Click Here
Ideas for celebrating Mabon: Article
Mabon celebration via Witchy Words: Blog Article
We would like to thank each and every one of our suppliers, vendors, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, our members, for making Sabbat Box possible. This wouldn't even be happening if it wasn't for our members. We hope to continue to serve the Pagan community at large and continue to provide you inspiration to celebrate The Wheel of the Year! Have a happy Mabon and may your home be ever protected and full of love and happiness.
Llyfr & Hugh
Founders of Sabbat Box
Mabon 2016 Sabbat Box Theme Release • Protection Magick For The Home 0
• PROTECTION MAGICK FOR THE HOME AND FOR THE EQINOX •
You move across the fields and hear things waking to the night: the owl’s low trill, the bat's swoops and circles, the wolf’s whine and howl, the nightingale’s call to arms. It reminds you of the shorter days ahead…the drain of blues and greens and reds under a purpling sky. A thousand stars start to twinkle overhead, its canvas turning blue-black, a cold reminder of how small—insignificant—you are on the moving earth.
The last signs of summer are moving behind us, and the darkness that approaches for winter reminds us that the plenty and abundance of greener times is leaving us for other seasons. Our ancestors would start to prepare well in advanced for the upcoming season, especially moreso for the darker half of the year, because where there was darkness, protection was required. Though Mabon may be commonly celebrated today somewhat as a "Pagan Thanksgiving," being that it is the Sabbat of the great harvest, or a time to honor balance (because the Sabbat falls on the equinox), we decided to focus our intent to finding products aimed at protecting the hearthside when curating this box for Mabon.
It is this spirit of protection, of our ancestors before us preparing and bracing themselves for the hardships of winter ahead, that we honor, celebrate and recognize this Mabon. This was a time to prepare food storages against the coming lack while keeping the hearth fires and bonfires lit for their warmth and light—the light that allows us to see into that darkness and spot any danger that may be around us. This was a time to prepare the home and the hearth, and to rid and banish all that was unwelcome and to make room for all that is.
This year’s Mabon Sabbat Box is a stop on the Wheel of the Year that reminds us to take those steps to protect ourselves and our homes, and to be vigilant against shortages and negative energies in our lives. We have curated a selection of items that hopefully will help prepare your mind and spirit, to enhance that vigilance against the darker days ahead, all while celebrating another turn of the Wheel, and what it has brought to us over the last months. We are grateful for our abundance as we celebrate the feasts of Mabon, but we also create potent magick to protect what is ours and that in which we dwell during the coming darker times.