What is a witch bottle? How do I make one? The Lore and Folk Magick Behind The Witches' Bottle. 7
• WHAT IS A WITCH BOTTLE? •
Being that we decided to include a witch bottle inside the 2016 Yule Sabbat Box, we only felt it appropriate to include a little history and lore behind their use and information on how to make one.
What is a witch bottle? Witch bottles are bottles filled with various objects and liquids of magickal potency that have been used for centuries in certain parts of Europe and early America as a form of protection or "counter magick" —a means to block and trap the harmful effects of witchcraft in different folk traditions. Witch bottles were also found to be used as amulets, meant to protect one's home or land against malice or disease.
To date, eight witch bottles have been found in the United States, the oldest witch bottle being from Pennsylvania, known as the Essington Witch Bottle. The Essington Witch Bottle was unearthed in 1976 during an excavation of Tinicum Island, on the Delaware River. It was found inverted, buried next to a home, and was filled with urine and pins. Why? It was believed to have been buried there to protect the land around it, and those who dwelled upon it. The reason urine would have been included in the witch bottle (and is still commonly included in witch bottles today, as well as menstrual blood and even semen) is because part of the idea of how a witch bottle works is by placing something from someone inside the bottle, it "attaches" the intent of the bottle with the owner or originator of the objects inside, and in this case it was the maker's urine. By using one's urine it was a way to make sure that the intent of the bottle was specifically attached to its maker, and not get mixed up with anyone else. It is believed that the Essington Witch Bottle was created sometime around the 17th or 18th century, and urinary problems were also common during these times, and it could have also been a way in which the Essington Witch Bottle's maker could have also been seeking protection from such ailments as well, thus the urine being included within.
It is quite evident from what historians believe, that the origination of this particular witch bottle's creators were most likely immigrants from Europe (or their descendants), meaning they would have had to of learned their folk magick practices from their elders back in the Old World, making the witch bottle one of the older forms of folk magick that was passed down and still used today.
It is the history and lore like the story of the Essington Witch Bottle above, in which folk magick and its practices stem from. Stories and legends like these are shared throughout the generations, and are added to or adapted, which in turn give us unique variations and traditions surrounding folk magick and its practice.
• HOW TO MAKE A WITCH BOTTLE •
It is believed that the original purpose of a witch bottle (when they were originally created) was for them to trap something (or someone). Witch bottles are a simple, yet powerful form of folk magick, and their contents and creation is only limited to your own intent and imagination.
Please note, the information below does not include specific step by step instructions on how to create a witch bottle, it only includes information that is meant to assist you in the process and to provide inspiration. It should also be said that in most magickal traditions it is common for one to...
- Ground and center before working magick.
- Ritually cleanse and purify your space (for instance, smudging) before working magick.
- Cast circle before working magick.
The very basic mechanics of creating a witch bottle are simple:
1. Choose a vessel or bottle you wish to use.
2. Gather the corresponding contents going inside.
3. Place your intent and purpose within the contents of the bottle. Also known as "charging" the contents.
4. Place the items inside the bottle that correspond to your intent and/or the person it is meant for.
5. Seal the bottle.
6. Place the bottle in its resting place.
The bottle that you choose can be anything that is hallow, can be filled and sealed. Glass or ceramic bottles or jars work fine. The size of the bottle is completely up to you, though you may want to stick with someone manageable since this will be either buried or stored within your home.
What you place inside your bottle can be items corresponding to the person or situation that you are attempting to influence. These contents used inside your bottle are chosen specifically for their known use, or how the object(s) relate to a situation or action. This attached purpose and meaning of the objects inside your bottle are what witches call a "correspondence." Correspondences are the very fabric that makes up many spells when working "low magick" or "folk magick." Most correspondences stem from history, legends or lore and can be symbolic, sympathetic or medicinal in nature.
So, for instance, you could add some cinnamon or thyme to your witch bottle if the intent is financial; lavender, small pieces of rose quartz, or a lock of your intended’s hair if love is what you’re after; maybe sage or salt water if the goal is purification or protection; even knotted string or black pepper to bind someone’s ill will against you. Again, the combinations and possibilities are up to you. See below for a list of a few more ideas on what to include in your witch bottle based on intent.
Another important component that is commonly used when creating witch bottles (and is almost as important as the actual bottle itself) are pins or nettles, either placed inside the bottle itself or stuck in the stopper or cork in order to “ward off” anyone (or anything) from disturbing the bottle. These items also served to trap your intent, if placed inside. Many of the historical witch bottles found to date had some sort of sharp “thorns” attached to them to ward off any curious hands. Be sure to include such when creating your bottle to insure your bottle is not harmed or touched if eventually found by someone.
Image by Amanda Z. via (Jumi of Diamonds)
Once your witch bottle is completed, the intent of your bottle is what usually depicts what one will do with it -or- where one may end up placing it...making this last step one of the most important when constructing your witch bottle.
• WHERE DO I PUT MY BOTTLE WHEN I AM DONE MAKING IT, AND WHY? •
PROSPERITY WITCH BOTTLES
Many believe that if the intent of your witch bottle is to draw things to you, or if you are trying to manifest something to happen for you personally, then you want to keep your completed witch bottle close to where you are. For instance, if your witch bottle is for manifesting prosperity, you may want to place your witch bottle in the very back of a kitchen cabinet, not to be disturbed (you know, behind that four year old jar of nutmeg that nobody uses, it will be really safe there). The intent here is that the bottle’s spell will continue to stay “in place” as long as the bottle is not disturbed. Since the kitchen is the heart of the home, the correlation between the heart of the home and the "heart's desires" makes for the prefect corresponding parallelism to hatch the spell and for the jar to serve its purpose. If at any point you decide to remove the bottle or feel that it is done serving its purpose, bury the bottle at the foot of a tree, returning its energies back into the earth. Be sure to thank the energies at work when you do.
COMMON PROSPERITY CORRESPONDENCES FOR A WITCH BOTTLE:
- Lottery ticket shavings
- Old pay stubs
- Clove, Rice, Salt
- Tiger's Eye/Aventurine
- Seal with the wax of a green or gold candle
PROTECTION WITCH BOTTLES
If the goal is the drum up protection, you may want to bury the witch bottle near the entry way of your home. Old folklore tells us it was common to bury protective witch bottles underneath the front steps of someone's house, for it was believed that the bottle would prevent maleficent or unwelcome entities from entering, only to trap them within the bottle. Some also believed that burying a witch bottle near the entryway to one's home kept wrong-doers or those trying to cause harm from crossing the home's thresholds. History tells us that witch bottles were also used to protect its maker(s) from harmful witchcraft that may be geared towards the makers of the bottle well.
COMMON PROTECTION CORRESPONDENCES FOR A WITCH BOTTLE:
- Black salt
- Rusty Nails
- Black Destroyer Oil
- Bent Pins
- Solomon's Seal
- Dragon's Blood
- Tourmaline, Carnelain
- Seal with the wax of a black candle
BANISHING, HEXING AND CURSING WITCH BOTTLES
If you are looking to banish, rid, hex or curse, you may choose to bury your witch bottle at a crossroads or near a stream of moving water. The idea here is that you are placing distance between yourself and the bottle. The reason as to why some may place their witch bottles at a crossroads is because crossroads are considered by many to be a place of magick and mystery, and the origin of such belief goes back to ancient Greek times. The Greeks believed that the crossroads represented and symbolized the joining of forces (man made, mystical and unseen). They believed that a crossroads also represented the balance of opposites and was a place in which time and space met, making the crossroads a place of transformation and change. Some also believe that crossroads is where pacts were made with certain entities or beings, adding to the lore of its surroundings. Ultimately, the crossroads, even in a mundane way, is a place of movement and change, making the crossroads a perfect corresponding place to have a spell manifest into a reality. If you are wanting to curse or banish, it would make sense to fill the bottle with a picture or representation of who the bottle is intended for (for example, a picture of that person, or something belonging to that person). It would also make sense to fill the bottle with unpleasent items, items of particular disdain, or things that the person you are making it for may not like.
COMMON HEXING & BANISHING CORRESPONDENCES FOR A WITCH BOTTLE:
- Lemon juice
- Rotton eggs, banana peels, sour milk
- Black Pepper/Red Pepper
- Thorns from a rose
- Dead flowers or weeds
- War water/black water
- A picture of the person ripped or torn apart
- Staples, pins, nails,
- An object owned by the person its for (i.e. hair from the person's brush)
- Hot foot powder
- Goofer dust
- Stinging nettle, wormwood, nightshade, devil's shoestring
- If binding someone, wrap the bottle completely in black twine or jute.
- Seal with the wax of a blood red or black candle (or both)
LOVE WITCH BOTTLES
If it is love you are looking to achieve with your witch bottle, you may consider burying it near a place in which both you and that person find desirable, in order to draw you both together (for example, the beach or near a mutual friends home).
COMMON LOVE CORRESPONDENCES FOR A WITCH BOTTLE:
- Perfume or cologne
- A love letter
- A picture of the person inside
- Rose petals
- Apple seeds, hibiscus, jasmine
- Rose Quartz
- Seal with the wax of a pink candle.
When it comes to creating a witch bottle, be creative, be mindful, and above all else, consider the matter handled once you are finished. This tradition among Pagans has a long history, and its effects can be quite powerful. Go with what feels right to you. Remember, magick is all about intent.
Care to share any of your ideas on how you like to make a witch bottle? What components do you use inside? Have you ever had any successes with your own witch bottles? Feel free to share with us in the comments below.
Are you looking for a witch bottle kit to make your own witch bottle? Check out the Sabbat Box Witch Bottle Kit at the Sabbat Box Store.
Discover the 2016 Yule Sabbat Box - Manifesting Midwinter Magick 0
• YULE SABBAT BOX • MANIFESTING MIDWINTER MAGICK • BOX BREAKDOWN •
Hail and Welcome, Sabbat Box Members and Friends!
Yule is here again, and that means that the darkness in our yearly cycle has reached its peak and the days will once again soon be getting longer. The Holly King, a crown of lights on his head, will once again abdicate his throne to the young green Oak King, and soon spring will burst forth new life and rebirth.
This year’s Sabbat Box for Yule is all about tangible means to manifest the magick in your life and usher forth a new start as we once again face sunward. We wanted to include a number of things we’ve been hoping to share that can bring about energies and intents to help you look inward and outward in meaningful ways. While those around us may be enjoying the festive season--Pagan and non-Pagan alike--we practice our own ways in ritual and at our altar to bring about new light and life just like the earth.
- As some of you may know, as of now we are currently at our maximum membership capacity at Sabbat Box. We have implemented a waiting list for those interested in joining when membership positions become available. You can join the waiting list here.
- Do you or someone you know make a product that would appeal to the Pagan community? Are you looking to launch a product or get your product in front of a large audience? If so, lets talk! Sabbat Box is always looking for new vendors and suppliers that create unique items to feature inside an upcoming Sabbat Box. Sabbat Box is a great way for people to find out about you, your product or your company. Whether you are looking to advertise inside the box or wish to feature a product within a box, we would love to hear from you. Register to become a Sabbat Box Supplier/Advertiser today.
• SABBAT BOX - WITCH BOTTLE KIT - SABBAT BOX EXCLUSIVE PRODUCT •
• ITEM 1: WITCH BOTTLE KIT.........$12.95
• WHAT: Witch Bottle Kit
• WHO MAKES IT IT?: Sabbat Box - Sabbat Box exclusive product
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: A witch bottle is a simple, powerful type of folk magic that can help to “bottle up” negative forces or can help manifest a physical representation of a fixed intent or work of will.
As the wheel of the year turns once more and we head into the peak of winter, it is a common theme amongst many witches and Pagans to finish laying down any magickal framework for the “new year” that we may not have been able to complete during Samhain. Part of that framework may involve manifesting prosperity for the new year, banishing and ridding of things that no longer serve us or even working to magickally manifest love. Witch bottles are an old form of folk magick which works by trapping particular energies or intents within them. Witch bottles are commonly made for protection, but can be used for all manner of magickal needs. We included some basic materials for making your own witch bottle; you can add in your own ingredients to tailor the working for results or intent that you desire. Learn more about witch bottles here
ITEMS INCLUDED IN EACH KIT:
• 1 x 4.25" x 1.50" Glass Bottle w/Cork
• 1 x Black Candle
• 1 x Carnelian Stone
• 9 x Metal pins
• 1 x Bag of Hyssop
• 1 x Bag of Rosemary
• 1 x Bag of Juniper Berries
• 1 x Bag of Sea Salt
• Correspondences and Detailed Instructions
Note: each kit comes with full instructions, explanations of correspondences, and multipurpose components to help you make your witch bottle suit your specific needs or intent.
• TAROT OF THE NEW VISION - TAROT DECK & TAROT BAG •
• ITEM 2: TAROT DECK.......$24.95
• WHAT: Tarot of the New Vision
• WHO MAKES IT?: Made Lo Scarabeo - Sold via Llewellyn
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: Llewellyn Publishing or the Sabbat Box Store
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Tarot has been used for generations as a tool for divination and personal guidance and reflection. These cards show the traditional Tarot symbology in a whole new way--with a unique perspective.
At first glance these Tarot cards may look like your typical "Rider-Waite" style deck, but upon closer inspection you will notice something new, something never done before: a view of these iconic Tarot images from behind! Gain a new perspective with these cards which go “backstage” and see what is being the famous characters and see what also appears in front of them. What would the woman on the Two of Swords see if her blindfold was removed? Ever imagine what’s behind the High Priestess’s twin columns? With this unique deck the reader can gain new insights and read Tarot from a whole new point of view. We included these in the Yule Sabbat Box as a special gift to our members, as we had since our beginning wanted to showcase a recognizable but unique form of the Tarot. With the new calendar year approaching, take a walk inward with these cards, and you just might see things in a brand new way while helping your unconscious self discover answers you may be looking for.
Each Tarot of the New Vision deck came with a black velour bag inside each Sabbat Box to keep your tarot safe when not in use. Discover more divination products here.
• GROUNDING EARTH - REIKI CHARGED DIFFUSER OIL •
• ITEM 3: DIFFUSER OIL.........$11.95
• WHAT: Grounding Earth Hand Blended Reiki-Charged Diffuser Oil
• WHO MAKES IT?: Kate's Magik
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: Kate's Magik or the Sabbat Box Store
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: A fragrant way to ground and center yourself before any magickal working or ritual or meditation. (Read more about Kate's Magik via our "featured vendor" section further down in this article).
Kate’s Magik, located in the heart of the Sonoran Desert in Tucson, Arizona, was founded back in 2002 by Kate Becker. Kate, a therapeutic perfumer and Reiki Master, creates intention based aromatherapy products to help create positive changes, like the Grounding Earth diffuser oil featured within this year's Yule Sabbat Box. Made with the pure essential oils of Himalayan cedarwood, frankincense, and juniper, this diffuser oil is Reiki charged to help aid with grounding prior to working magick and spells while helping to manifest peace and tranquility during the chaos that can arise from both day to day life and especially during the holidays!
IDEAS FOR USE:
• Use in an oil diffuser: Fill your oil diffuser vessel with water and place a few drops of Grounding Earth within the vessel to fill your sacred space with a grounding and fragrant aroma. Be sure to use only a few drops and dilute in water because this item is made from 100% pure essential oils and can be very overpowering and possibly flammable if you attempt to burn pure essential oils in a diffuser.
• Use in an atomizer: Place a few drops within an atomizer with distilled or filtered spring water.
• Wear as a perfume: Place a few drops of Grounding Earth diffuser oil within a carrier oil and wear as a perfume.
• Use as an anointing oil: Place Grounding Earth diffuser oil within your favorite carrier oil and rub on your pulse points before meditating or as a general anointing oil to welcome people into your circle.
• Use in your lotion: Place a few drops of Grounding Earth in your favorite scent free lotion to bring upon a grounding aroma.
• HAND BLENDED GREENMAN MIST •
• ITEM 4: GREENMAN MIST.........$3.99
• WHAT: Hand Blended Greenman Ritual Spray/Mist
• WHO MAKES IT?: Sun's Eye
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: Sun's Eye or the Sabbat Box Store.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: This woodsy, masculine ritual spray makes for a great way to clear or cleanse and area when burning or smudging isn’t practical or recommended.
Greenman Mist consists of a festive blend of frankincense and cypress essential and fragrance oils in pure distilled water for liquid smudging. The Greenman is a symbol of rebirth and the divine masculine aspect of nature. Use it prior to working magick to invoke masculine energies. Ritual mists are perfect for those who cannot burn smudge sticks or do not like or cannot burn incense but still want to consecrate their space. Just spray around your home or sacred space before casting circle, before meditation, or spray to rid or banish any built-up negative energies around you and to invoke the divine masculine. Looking for more ritual sprays? Shop all of our ritual mists here.
• CYCLES OF THE YEAR MOON CALENDAR •
• ITEM 5: MOON CALENDAR.........$1.25
• WHAT IS IT: 2017 Cycles of the Year Pocket Reference Full Moon Calendar
• WHO MAKES IT?: Deva Designs - sourced through Eclectic Artisans Pagan Marketplace.
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: A handy quick refence to moon cycles at a glance. A must for all practitioners who work when the moon is right!
The timing of when one decides to work magick spells and rituals is an integral part of the craft, especially when it comes to the cycle of the moon. Many believe that the moon holds both a symbolic and energetic influence over us and our magick and it is extremely important to know when particular cycles of the moon take place in order to properly time our magickal workings. This card will allow you to quickly reference when the moon will be full, waxing, waning, or new and includes all equinox and solstice dates for 2017. Keep in your purse, on your refrigerator or above your altar for quick reference.
• HEM FRANKINCENSE CONE INCENSE •
• ITEM 6: INCENSE.........$2.00
• WHAT IS IT: Frankincense Hand-Rolled Cone Incense, box of 10 cones
• WHO MAKES IT?: HEM
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store or most metaphysical stores.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Frankincense has been used for centuries as a means of spiritual cleansing, purification, and promoting positive energies.
Frankincense is a masculine resin with solar properties and correspondences to the element of fire. It is used for protection, sprituality, exorcisms, and to honor the divine. It is said when frankincense is burned, it releases strong vibrations that help to “uplift” an area and drive away evil and negativity, making these incense perfect to burn during Yule or when working midwinter magick. Burning incense is a quick and easy way to spiritually cleanse and consecrate your home or sacred space.
• PACKING & SHIPPING •
PACKING & SHIPPING: Part of the costs of your box include the box and the packing material itself. The items listed below account for a good portion of the overall costs for the Yule/Winter Solstice Sabbat Boxes. Each Yule Sabbat Box is lined with paper padding and wrapping to add to the surprise of what we’ve curated for you. Shipping is also included in the total price. The cost to ship boxes is roughly $8.50. With that being said, we here at Sabbat Box wish to be as environmentally friendly that we can be and do our best to source packing supplies and material from companies that have the same beliefs we do, in that we want to make as little of an impact as possible on the environment.
BOXES: Your boxes where made from high quality corrugated paper and are 100% recyclable. Try to find another use for your box. They are 9x9x3 on the inside. You could decorate your box to hold some magical supplies or use it again to ship something to someone or save it for another time when you may need it. If you have to get rid of it, please try to recycle it.
BROCHURE: Your brochures are printed on 100% recyclable 16pt paper, which is sourced from sustainable forests.
TISSUE PAPER & FILLING: The red tissue paper is made from 100% recycled paper and is recyclable. The green colored filler inside each box is made from scraps of recycled colored crinkle paper and is biodegradable.
STICKERS: The stickers found within your boxes where printed on vinyl with a gloss laminate.
• SABBAT BOX SAVINGS & COUPONS •
Part of our goal is to provide a number of items to our members at a value far above what individuals can purchase on their own. When you add up all of the items inside your Yule Sabbat Box, as well as costs for shipping and packaging, you are saving over $22.00. We believe this to be another good reason to be a member. Also, each box we create helps to support Pagan run businesses and their employees. Sabbat Box looks forward to continuing to stay within our mission to work with other Pagan businesses to supply products for each box.
YULE SABBAT BOX PRICE BREAKDOWN
• Total MSRP of items inside: $54.14
• Total Savings on this box: $14.19
• Total Shipping Savings: $8.50
• Grand Total In Savings: $22.69
Our members helped to support 5 Pagan run businesses with their Sabbat Box membership! We work with other Pagans and Pagan owned businesses within the community to purchase, curate and supply the items featured within our boxes. In the end, we want to help the community grow and share our business with companies that share our same values and standards.
• SABBAT BOX FEATURED VENDOR - KATE'S MAGIK •
• COMPANY: KATE'S MAGIK
• ABOUT THEM AND WHAT THEY SELL: Kate’s Magik creates intention-based aromatherapy products from complex blends of pure essential oils and all-natural, quality ingredients. Their mission is to help and support people on their life path and instill positive changes by uniting the power of intention with the beautiful aromas of the earth's healing plants. Their Reiki-charged essential oil blends not only smell divine but serve as powerful therapeutic tools for healing and transformation. Each product is hand-blended with love and mindfulness in the Sonoran desert, where we strive to contribute to the overall healing of the planet by helping people help themselves. Learn more about Kate's Magik and shop their store here. Be sure to visit their Facebook pages and Twitter too. Tell them Sabbat Box sent ya!
• WEBSITE: https://www.katesmagik.com
• TWITTER PAGE: https://twitter.com/KatesMagik
• FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/katesmagik
• TIME •
We take pride in assembling each and every Sabbat Box by hand, no matter the amount of time it takes. We don't just throw your items inside a flat rate priority mail box like some other subscription box companies out there. We want your Sabbat Box to be delivered to you as beautifully as it left us, and it takes a tremendous amount of time to complete this task.
This includes folding the boxes together, individually cutting each sheet of tissue paper by hand, weighing out the crinkle paper for each box, designing the flyers, coupons, stickers and brochures to be printed professionally by commercial printers, individually placing each item within their corresponding bags, individually assembling the boxes, individually packing the tissue paper within each box by hand putting together and creating product packing. This timeframe doesn't even include the efforts made to manage the Sabbat Box website, the back end billing system, social media management, customer service inquiries, accounting, marketing, purchasing, networking, and so on. This is a labor of love and we enjoy serving the community!
We believe in what it is we are doing and we sincerely hope that each and every one of you can see that the purest of intent and utmost care goes into curating each Sabbat Box.
• OFFICIAL 2016 YULE SABBAT BOX UNBOXING VIDEO •
• OTHER RESOURCES RELATING TO YOUR BOX •
YULE INFORMATION, LORE AND MORE!
Simple Yule Ritual: Click Here
Ideas for celebrating Yule: Article
Yule celebration via Witchy Words: Blog Article
- House Cleansing Ceremony: Witchy Words
We would like to thank each and every one of our suppliers, vendors, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, our members, for making Sabbat Box possible. This wouldn't even be happening if it wasn't for our members. We hope to continue to serve the Pagan community at large and continue to provide you inspiration to celebrate The Wheel of the Year! Have a happy Yule and may the light of the divine guide you during the dark of winter!
Llyfr & Hugh
Founders of Sabbat Box
Yule 2016 Sabbat Box Theme Release • Manifesting Midwinter Magick 0
• MANIFESTING MIDWINTER MAGICK •
The winter solstice is the culmination of darkness. The sun rises late in the morning and leaves us early in the evening; it is the shortest day of the year. We can honor that darkness, even as we celebrate Yule as a festival of lights. Because what is worked in the dark can sometimes allow time for manifestation in the light of day.
Contrary to other spiritual paths, darkness doesn’t equal evil. For Pagans it is merely the “other side” of light. As creatures of balance we must strive to practice our craft amidst the darkness, just as the mouse may learn to move and protect herself under the cloak of night. The darkness, for her—like us—is not evil at all. In fact, the ability to use darkness for protection and accomplishing things without being seen ensures we will not catch the eye of those people or energies who might stand in our way.
The theme of this Yule’s Sabbat Box is manifesting midwinter magick. As you celebrate Yule this year, we hope that you will come to appreciate this shortest of days and see the power in manifesting your will with the help of falling night. We are curating a collection of items that will allow you to work unseen and gather the skill to make manifest your intent. We cherish the light—and will celebrate its soon return—at Yule, but witchcraft can sometimes work its greatest magic away from the hearth fires and lights. Sometimes the manifestation of magick works best unseen.