Samhain 2016 Sabbat Box Theme Release • Beyond The Veil 4
• BEYOND THE VEIL •
"The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes. The way is shut.”
—J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
The Dead speak to us all the time. We may hear a voice of a family member, a friend, a lover—of those who has since passed on. The voices remind us of who they were and what they meant to us. Their words of wisdom and friendship and kindness never leave us, even if their physical presence has long since disappeared. We can seek the words and admonishments of our ancestors and loved ones as lights on our own path.
The boundary between us and the Dead can feel as thick and as blocked as a vault door, or as thin and fragile as a spiderweb. Many Pagans refer to the boundary between the living and the dead as "the veil." The grand sabbat of Samhain affords us the ability to look beyond the veil, as it is said that the veil is at its thinnest during this time of year — it asks us to look back and into the darkness and find the counsel of past lives who have touched ours.
The theme for this Samhain’s Sabbat Box is all about moving (or at least looking) beyond that veil: to honor those who came before us and gave to us the things we need in our own lives. Spend some time in your sacred space, looking beyond the veil. Try your hand at a new form of divination and see what those voices might whisper to you, the Living. Ask questions, search your memories, and allow the wisdom of those who love you and have moved on to guide you through the darkness, and beyond the veil. The items you will find within the 2016 Samhain Sabbat Box will consist of an array of magickal supplies that one can utilize when working beyond the veil and working within the shadows as well as honoring those who came before us.
Discover The Samhain Sabbat Box - The Witches' Sabbath 4
• SAMHAIN SABBAT BOX - SABBAT BOX BREAKDOWN •
Greetings Sabbat Box Members!
The end of the year is fast approaching. It’s getting dark a little earlier every day, and stays that way just a little longer every morning. While many have been raised to think this time of year is just about dressing in silly costumes, knocking on neighbors’ doors, and hauling in as much candy as our make-shift pillowcase/goody bag would hold, those who have headed down the spiritual path of Paganism realize there is so much more to experience, appreciate, and learn about All Hallows’ Eve.
As you will see from the list of items below, we’ve done our best to marry the festive enjoyment that our modern society has cultivated around the 31st of October, but also focus on the powerful work that our paths can conjure from this magical time of year. We worked hard to curate items inside this box that would help one appreciate the importance of this holiday as well as, maybe, offer a little smirk and a wink (incense from freshly-squeezed vampires, anyone?) and even threw in a little morsel that you may have found at the bottom of that pillowcase years ago on November 1st.
Wherever your traditions, your path, or your craft take you, this “Witches’ New Year” can be a wonderful time to reflect, assess, and honor the time that we have been given on this plane, and to honor those who came before us as the veil thins, inviting our ancestors to visit us once again. We sincerely hope you enjoy what we have put together inside the Samhain box and we hope you enjoy putting these magical items to use in your own special way.
• As some of you may know, as of now we are currently at our maximum membership capacity at Sabbat Box. We have implemented a waiting list for those interested in joining when membership positions become available. You can join the waiting list here.
• Do you or someone you know make a product that would appeal to the Pagan community? Are you looking to launch a product or get your product in front of a large audience? If so, lets talk! Sabbat Box is always looking for new vendors and suppliers that create unique items to feature inside an upcoming Sabbat Box. Sabbat Box is a great way for people to find out about you, your product or your company. Whether you are looking to advertise inside the box or wish to feature a product within a box, we would love to hear from you. Become a Sabbat Box Supplier/Advertiser today.
• SAMHAIN-RITUALS, RECIPES & LORE FOR HALLOWEEN •
• ITEM 1: SAMHAIN BOOK.........$11.99
• WHAT: Samhain-Rituals, Recipes and Lore for Halloween (part of Llewellyn's Sabbat Essentials series)
• WHO MAKES IT?: Llewellyn Worldwide & Authored By Diana Rajchel
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: You can purchase copies via the Sabbat Box Store or via Llewellyn.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Llewellyn has been a trusted source for books on Paganism, Magick and New Age topics since 1901. This particular book features spells, recipes, lore, invocations, correspondences, crafts and rituals that will help to inspire you to celebrate Samhain in your own unique way.
Part of what we wish to do here at Sabbat Box is to provide further resources
for our members pertaining to paganism, witchcraft and the Sabbats. The Sabbat Essentials series are wonderful resource books and will truly help you find inspiration on how to celebrate the Sabbat in your own special way. Some may say that these books are geared more towards beginners, but you would be surprised to read how much information is packed within these books, which is helpful for both seasoned practitioners as well as a novice! We decided to feature Llewellyn's Sabbat Essentials books when we started Sabbat Box, as this line of books is brand new to Llewellyn, (making them first edition prints) and they correlate perfectly with what Sabbat Box is all about. In fact, these first edition printings come out only a few weeks before we ship each Sabbat Box, which makes our members some of the first people to actually own and read them. The book’s author, Diana Rajchel, has written other books on Paganism, including her most recent book, "Divorcing A Real Witch," and has also contributed to many other popular Llewellyn publications.
We believe that every Pagan can gain something from this collection of Samhain practices, or at least inspire you to try something new that you may not have thought to do before. You will find an array of fantastic information pertaining to Samhain/Halloween, including plenty of rituals, spells and inspiration for your Samhain celebrations.
An excerpt from "A Banishment of Ill Spirits" on page 163.
I sweep you out;
I turn you about,
Go to the gods!
Leave here for the rivers,
Depart the skies--
I bid you, fly!
I'll not have you linger,
With your venomous trouble.
I'll know if you hang on!
I pry you loose, claw by finger,
Command you with the charge:
Count every drop of water in every lake,
Ocean, river and sea;
Count each grain of rice that ever was,
Count each grain that shall ever be;
Count every leaf on every tree,
That will fall or that will be,
Never again return--
Don't come near me!
These books have been a great hit within the Sabbat Box community and we continue to plan on including the Sabbat Essentials series until Ostara of next year...by that point we will have included each book from the Sabbat Essentials series within each Sabbat Box for the first year.
• THE WITCHES' SABBATH - BLACK RITUAL PROTECTION TAPERS •
• ITEM 2: BLACK RITUAL TAPERS........$5.50
• WHAT: The Witches' Sabbath Protection Black Ritual Tapers
• WHO MAKES IT?: Sabbat Box (exclusive Sabbat Box item).
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box store.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: A nice set of spell candles can always come in handy for any practicing witch. One may want a decent set of black tapers for spells, to adorn your altar, or to work protective magick.
Since the veil is thin, we felt that our Witches’ Sabbath Protection Black Ritual Tapers would come in handy for Samhain. Whether you use them to illuminate your sacred space, perform a quick spell, or place them upon your window sill to guide the spirit of your ancestors home during Samhain, our black ritual tapers have a multitude of uses. Candles have always played an essential role in witchcraft, and every witch should have a pair of ritual tapers on hand at any given time. Each set comes with a simple chant to release your spell/magick as well.
By wax of candle,
By way of flame,
I conjure up my will,
By dark of night,
By witches' right,
I beseech my spell.
IDEAS FOR MAGICKAL USE
• Use on your altar as standard black altar candles, to match your Samhain decor
• Use for protective candle magick
• Use as guides for your ancestors on All Hallow's Eve
• Use for standard candle magick
• Write a petition on the back side of the parchment label and burn on the candles flame to release your magickal intent.
• SPIRIT OF SAMHAIN SABBAT OIL - BY MOONLIT HERBALS •
• ITEM 3: SABBAT OIL.........$7.50
• WHAT: The Spirit of Samhain Sabbat Oil
• WHO MAKES IT?: Moonlit Herbals
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store or via Moonlit Herbals
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Many Pagans utilize oil in their magical practice and ritual as a way to dedicate, protect, or consecrate people and items. This particular oil and its scent will invoke powerful imagery of Samhain and its long-standing traditions.
The Spirit of Samhain ritual sabbat oil will make a wonderful addition to your Samhain rites, rituals, and spells involving divination, honoring loved ones who have passed, and working between the shadows. Each oil is handcrafted with organic herbs and resins as well as high quality organic essential oils. Each vial of oil also contains black onyx and carnelian crystals to lend their corresponding energies. Moonlit Herbals is located in Olympia, Washington and has been serving the Pagan community since 2007. Check out Moonlit Herbals unique array of witchcraft supplies and spell supplies such as: spell candles, oils, herbs, and more by visiting their Etsy Shop at http://www.etsy.com/moonlitherbals.
STONE CORRESPONDENCES FOR SAMHAIN OIL
• Black Onyx: Protection, grounding, clearing, consecration
• Carnelian: Power, love, purification, magick
• GYPSY WITCH FORTUNE TELLING CARDS •
• ITEM 4: FORTUNE TELLING CARDS.........$7.00
• WHAT: Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards
• WHO MAKES IT?: U.S. GAMES
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: You can purchase at the Sabbat Box Store.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT? For many Pagans, divination is a integral part of their practice in the Craft. This beginner-style deck is a great introduction to reading cards as it uses tarot-style imagery in its art along with regular playing card imagery as well.
During Samhain, it is very common for witches to work divination. We wanted to include something unique inside your box that could allow you to do so while the veil is thin, and these novelty fortune telling cards fit the bill! U.S. Games has been serving the Pagan community for 45 plus years, making unique items such as fortune telling cards and more.
The Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards where originated back in the 1930's and its imagery is based off of the early Lenormand tarot artwork, making for a beautiful display of both occult and pagan imagery. Each deck comes with instructions on how to use them and different spreads for the deck.
• TRADITIONAL CONSECRATED BLACK SALT •
• ITEM 5: BLACK SALT.........$7.00
• WHAT IS IT: Traditionally Made Black Salt - Sel Noir
• WHO MAKES IT?: Charm et Sortilege
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: The Sabbat Box Store.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Salt has been used for millennia as a purifier and preserver of foods, and in spellwork or ritual, the role is very similar. Black salt, specially consecrated for the Craft, absorbs and protects against negativity or unwanted spiritual energies.
This traditionally made black salt is energetically charged and consecrated, making it a useful magickal component for protection and banishing. Sprinkle in an area you want to protect or within your circle to boost your magic. Black salt is especially beneficial to use during Samhain while the veil has parted to keep unwelcome spirits away.
IDEAS FOR MAGICKAL USE
• Use to cleanse and consecrate sacred space
• Imbue your intent within and sprinkle around outside of home
• Place beneath outside doormat for protection magick
• Use in conjunction with spell work
• Use to consecrate ritual tools or spell supplies
• Place inside a poppet, mojo bag/mojo hand or gris gris
• BLACK SAGE SMUDGE STICK - MUGWORT •
• ITEM 6: BLACK SAGE.........$3.50
• WHAT IS IT?: Black Sage Smudge Stick (Mugwort)
• WHO MAKES IT?: Mother Nature
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: You can purchase at the Sabbat Box Store.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Fresh, wild harvest black sage smudge sticks are the perfect ritual smudge stick for the witch at heart. Black sage, also known as mugwort has many magical uses, especially during Samhain.
Black sage, also known as mugwort, is very closely related to divination, astral projection, and psychic power, making it a potent herb for witches to use during Samhain. Many Pagans will burn mugwort prior to working divination to protect themselves. Some may also take mugwort, rosemary, salt, and water to create a consecrated concoction for protection, as well as to spiritually cleanse the home and altar.
• FOLK NAMES: Artemis Herb, Sailor's Tobacco, Black Sage
• GENDER: Feminine
• PLANET: Venus
• ELEMENT: Earth
• DEITIES: Artemis, Diana
• MAGICAL USE: Psychic power, protection, strength, prophetic dreams, healing, astral projection.
• VAMPIRE BLOOD STICK INCENSE •
• ITEM 7: STICK INCENSE.........$3.00
• WHAT: Vampire Blood Incense
• WHO MAKES IT?: Devils Garden
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: Via the Sabbat Box Store, or most metaphysical suppliers
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Vampire Blood stick incense are a premium, hand rolled, organic stick incense with an amazing, intoxicating aroma, and will add a magical feel to your next rite.
The name may be slightly macabre, but Vampire Blood incense are some of the best quality stick incense you can find. Each incense is made from a unique blend of rare herbs, flowers, resins, and essential oils. There are hints of vanilla, musk, and sandalwood, as well as a little benzoin and dragon’s blood resin. They are on the stronger side, but oh so intoxicating. These incense are made using the “Masala” method, which means herbs, resins, and oils are mixed together to create a paste and that paste is then hand rolled onto the incense stick. This method makes for a better quality incense overall. All of the ingredients used to make these incense are organic, non-toxic, and ozone friendly.
We chose to feature Vampire Blood incense within the Samhain Sabbat Box because their scent does almost mimic the deep fall season. Each pack of Vampire Blood incense comes with 10 sticks, which is more then plenty to facilitate your magical sabbat workings.
• BLACK OBSIDIAN TUMBLED GEMSTONES •
• ITEM 8: OBSIDIAN STONE.........$2.00
• WHAT: Black Obsidian Tumbled Gemstone Sets
• WHO MAKES IT?: Mother Nature
• WHERE CAN I GET IT?: Via the Sabbat Box Store, or most metaphysical suppliers.
• WHY WOULD I WANT IT?: Black Obsidian gemstone set, perfect for the gemstone and crystal collector! Each Black Obsidian Gemstone Set comes with a bag, an info card & 1 black obsidian. Obsidian is a versatile gemstone with many metaphysical properties that can come in handy during samhain.
Black obsidian is naturally occurring volcanic glass, and is created when hot lava comes into contact with water and is rapidly cooled, forming a powerful stone with a deep dark color. Black obsidian is said to provide strong psychic protection and shields against negative energies. It is also a great stone for grounding. Obsidian is also said to aid with divination and channeling, making it a perfect stone for Samhain and the parting of the veil.
• PACKING & SHIPPING •
PACKING & SHIPPING: Part of the costs of your box include the box and the packing material itself. The items listed below account for a good portion of the overall costs for the Samhain Box. Each Samhain Sabbat Box is lined with paper padding and wrapping to add to the surprise of what we’ve curated for you. Shipping is included in the total price. The average cost to ship the Samhain Box was roughly $8.00. With that being said, we here at Sabbat Box wish to be as environmentally friendly that we can be and do our best to source packing supplies and material from companies that have the same beliefs we do, in that we want to make as little of an impact as possible on the environment.
BOXES: Your boxes where made from high quality corrugated paper and are 100% recyclable. Try to find another use for your box. They are 9x9x3 on the inside. You could decorate your box to hold some magical supplies or use it to again to ship something to someone or save it for another time when you may need it. If you dispose of it, try to recycle it.
BROCHURE & COUPONS: Your brochures are printed on 100% recyclable 16pt paper, which is sourced from sustainable forests. They are ECF (elemental chlorine free), helping to have less of an impact on the environment.
TISSUE PAPER & FILLING: The black tissue paper is made from 100% recycled paper and is recyclable. The filling is made from scraps of recycled "black" crinkle paper and is biodegradable.
STICKERS: The stickers found within your boxes where printed on vinyl with a gloss laminate.
• SABBAT BOX COUPONS •
SAVINGS & COUPONS:
Part of our goal is to provide a number of items to our members at a value far above what individuals can purchase on their own. When you add up all of the items inside your Samhain Sabbat Box, as well as costs for shipping and packaging, you are saving over $14.99 with your Samhain Sabbat Box. We believe this to be another good reason to be a member. Also, each box we create helps to support Pagan run businesses and their employees. Sabbat Box looks forward to continuing to stay within our mission to work with other Pagan businesses to supply products for each box.
Coupons are another great feature you will find within Sabbat Boxes. Coupons just add to the overall value of your box and are not included in the "total savings" specified on your information sheet/brochure. Check out the Pagan run businesses below and see the great discounts our members received inside the Samhain Box. Be sure to visit their online store and help support their businesses. They really do make some magickal, Pagan products.
SAMHAIN BOX PRICE BREAKDOWN
• Total MSRP of items inside: $46.99
• Total Savings on this box: $7.04
• Total Shipping Savings: $7.95
• Grand Total In Savings: $14.99
~Our members helped to support 6 Pagan run businesses with their Sabbat Box membership! Unlike some subscription boxes (that only use their own products inside each of their boxes), we work with other Pagans and Pagan owned businesses within the community to purchase and supply the items featured within our boxes. In the end, we want to help the community grow and share our business with companies that share our same values and standards
• RIVER SILVERWOLF NATURE & SPIRITUAL SHOPPE •
• EXCLUSIVE SABBAT BOX MEMBER COUPON
• COMPANY: River Silverwolf Nature and Spiritual Shoppe
• EXCLUSIVE MEMBER COUPON VALUE: 10% off next purchase
• WHAT THEY SELL: Discover unique pagan jewelry and spiritual items at the River Solverwolf Shoppe. All items found inside their shop are created and designed using gifts from nature.
• WEBSITE: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverSilverWolf
• FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/RiverSilverwolfEtsy
• MOONLIT HERBALS •
• EXCLUSIVE SABBAT BOX MEMBER COUPON
• COMPANY: Moonlit Herbals
• EXCLUSIVE MEMBER COUPON VALUE: 10% off next purchase
• WHAT THEY SELL: Moonlit Herbals offers a variety of spell supplies; from candles and incenses, to crystal mists, altar oils, ritual salts and witch bottle pendants, crafted by the light of the moon. Moonlit Herbals crafts each of their items with organic herbs and flowers, resins, crystals and oils associated with the intent of each item. The items they lovingly craft are created as focusing tools to help one focus their personal energy on their spells and rituals to bring about their desired change.
• WEBSITE: https://www.etsy.com/shop/moonlitherbals
• FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.Facebook.com/MoonlitHerbalsShop
• THE WITCHERY •
• EXCLUSIVE SABBAT BOX MEMBER COUPON
• COMPANY: The Witchery
• EXCLUSIVE MEMBER COUPON VALUE: 25% off next purchase
• WHAT THEY SELL: The Witchery, located in Alberta Canada, showcases and sells unique, witchcraft and pagan supplies such as, spell bottles, potions, crystals, gemstones, replenishments and other spell supplies. The owner is a practicing hedgewitch, with hoodoo influences, which you will see within her work.
• WEBSITE: http://www.thewitchery.ca
• FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/TheWitcheryCa
We take pride in assembling each and every Sabbat Box by hand, no matter the amount of time it takes. We don't just throw your items inside a flat rate priority mail box like some other subscription box companies out there. We want your Sabbat Box to be delivered to you as beautifully as it left us, and it takes a tremendous amount of time to complete this task.
This includes folding the boxes together, individually cutting each sheet of tissue paper by hand, weighing out the filler for each box, designing the flyers, coupons, stickers and brochures to be printed professionally by the printers, individually placing each candle within a bag, individually assembling the boxes, individually packing the tissue paper within each box by hand, taping each and every box by hand as well as individually printing each and every shipping label and sticking them to your boxes too. This timeframe doesn't even include the efforts made to manage the website, the back end billing system, social media management, customer service inquiries, accounting, marketing, purchasing, and so on.
We really do believe in what it is we are doing and we sincerely hope that each and every one of you can see that the purest of intent and utmost care goes into curating your Sabbat Box.
• OFFICIAL SAMHAIN SABBAT BOX UNBOXING VIDEO •
• OTHER RESOURCES, BLOGS AND PODCASTS •
• Cornish Witchcraft: For those out there that may lean more toward the practice of BTW (British Traditional Witchcraft), this website is filled with great resources, links and other information pertaining to Cornish and English country magick.
• Solitary Path: A great Pagan blog from the perspective of Yvonne Tyves, a shamanic healer, author, artist and OBOD Ovate, who walks an eclectic solitary path.
• The Desperate House Witches Podcast: A Hodgepodge of magickal chat, drinks, spells, tarot, guests and unadulterated fun with two sister witches. This is not a PG rated show. Raina is a beloved but inappropriate Pagan & Dorian is the owner of Cobaltraven's Magickal Notions. Both are self proclaimed kitchen witch extraordinaire and hope to bring you an enjoyable podcast. Website: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/desperatehousewitches
We thank each and every one of our suppliers, vendors, customers and MOST IMPORTANTLY our members for making this possible. This wouldn't even be happening if it wasn't for our members. We really do look forward to shipping out the next boxes for Yule. We also have so much more in the works here at Sabbat Box and continue to strive to make Sabbat Box the premier subscription box for Pagans. We look forward to continuing to serve the Pagan community at large. Blessed Samhain!
Llyfr & Hugh
Founders of Sabbat Box
Samhain Sabbat Box Theme Release • The Witches' Sabbath 0
• THE WITCHES' SABBATH •
As the last herbs dry above the fire and the late autumn vegetables sweeten in the earth before they are laid by the root cellar, we take stock. Not just what is needed for winter, but what has come before us and what may lie ahead. Now is the time to peer into the darkening world and face our fears, our anxieties, not forgetting what we have done and what we have yet to do.
Our goal with the Samhain Sabbat Box is to hopefully stimulate ideas and provide tools for you as you celebrate the Sabbath of the Witch, so spend some time taking stock. What do you have to work with? What did those who came before you leave you, in body and in spirit? What do you need for the trying times that may lay ahead? What hope can you see in the dark?
At Samhain the wheel of the year turns again and comes to an end of sorts (in fact, in some traditions, Samhain is considered the witches' new year). But every end is a beginning, and we, even in encroaching darkness, left with our thoughts and the gifts from our ancestors, should embrace hope. The fervent hope that light will return, the scales will again tip toward life, and we will flourish once again.